Ethics and Disclosures2

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Tue May 31 04:30:39 UTC 2005

The Journal of the American Medical Association
includes the following in its instructions to
authors
(see http://jama.ama-assn.org/ifora_current.dtl):

>A conflict of interest may exist when an author
>(or the author¹s institution or employer) has
>financial or personal relationships that could
>inappropriately influence (or bias) the author¹s
>decisions, work, or manuscript. All authors are
>required to report potential conflicts of
>interest, including specific financial interests
>relevant to the subject of their manuscript....
>
>Authors are required to report detailed
>information regarding all financial and material
>support for the research and work, including but
>not limited to grant support, funding sources,
>and provision of equipment and supplies...

Almost all other scientific journals and
professional societies in areas that receive
corporate, military, or similar funding impose
similar requirements. For thousands of other
examples, just Google "disclosure support
conflict journal."

The reason for this policy is obvious. When you
report some research, whether on the meaning of
'redskin' or the risks of smoking, without
disclosing that someone with a financial stake in
the outcome has paid for it, you leave the
impression that you came to the topic out of pure
intellectual curiosity and that there was no
external pressure on you to reach the conclusions
you did. If someone were to report research that
minimized the health hazards of smoking without
mentioning that it was sponsored by a tobacco
company, it would be considered a serious ethical
lapse indeed.

Professor Butters undertook his research on
'redskin' at the behest of an organization who
was paying him with the idea that he would
produce a report that was favorable to its
interests. He may very well have believed from
the outset that the team's point of view was
justified, and  he may argue that he would have
turned down the case or dropped out of it if his
research suggested otherwise-- many people do
exactly that, at some cost to themselves. But as
it turned out, it was financially advantageous
for him to reach the conclusions he did, and he
can't seriously believe that it wasn't
"particularly important" to let his hearers or
readers know about this. Even in the absence of
official guidelines from a journal, conference,
or professional society, this is just ethical
common sense.

My own sense is that one should bend over
backwards to make sure all potential conflicts
are disclosed. No, Professor Butters needn't
mention that he is a member of the editorial
board of NOAD every time he quotes a dictionary.
But if he were associated with Merriam-Webster,
say, he had better mention that fact every time
he writes something that either praises a MW
product or criticizes someone else's. (In fact
the producers of "Fresh Air" do not allow me to
make any critical comments on dictionaries at
all, because of my association with the American
Heritage, whether or not I mention that
connection. And if The New York Times were to
learn that I had given expert testimony in a case
that bore on some topic I was discussing without
disclosing that, it would be the last piece I
would ever write for them.) And so on, whether
it's a question of having a financial interest in
a company that produces linguistic software or
doing consulting for a corporate naming outfit.

I did raise this issue with the LSA and the
editor of Language at one point, but I dropped
the ball for some reason. This might be a good
time to raise the subject again, and I'd welcome
Professor Butters' help.

Geoff Nunberg