No response expected

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 5 03:05:43 UTC 2005

Back in St. Louis, the slang phrase, "cultivate one's wig," means or
meant the same as "have one's ears lowered," i.e. get a haircut.
However, in a neo-blaxploitation movie, there''s a scene in which a
black lawyer says to the judge, IIRC, "Please, your honor, allow me to
cultivate my wig!" followed immediately by a shift of scene.
Apparently, the explanatory context was left on the cutting-room
floor.

I've spent years studying over this, trying to figure out what the
lawyer could have meant, given the paucity of context. Clearly, he
wasn't asking permission to get a haircut. My best guess is that he
was asking for a chance to demonstrate his command of the law. But who
knows?
--
-Wilson Gray