Moon Pies

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Nov 6 21:56:14 UTC 2005

Natchurly another Straight Dope Message Board Question.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=343468

You know, the marshmallow-filling-between-two-chocolate sides, round, mainly
a Southern thang.

I can find newspaper cites back to 1951.  The company which holds the
trademark registered the name in 1955, and claimed in their filing that it
was first used in commerce in 1917.  I really don't think that it was a
trade name that early, since I can't find it before 1951.  That's searching
Newspaperarchive and Proquest Historical.

My sainted mother, who grew up in Danville, VA. remembers them, but couldn't
put a name to them.  She was born in 1923.

So, how early were they "moon pies" and what were they called before that?
And what was the equivalent treat in the North?

Sam Clements