Brooklynese in New Orleans redux

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 8 22:30:56 UTC 2005

To restate and amplify something I said before, there must have been a hell of a lot of those "New York bankers," they must have had a hell of a lot of kids, and the locals must have been pretty desperate to emulate "prestige forms."

JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Brooklynese in New Orleans redux

On 11/7/05, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
> Subject: Brooklynese in New Orleans redux

------

> From the New Yorker "Talk of the Town" piece on William Labov and the
> publication of his _Atlas of North American English_:
>
> -----
> http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/articles/051114ta_talk_seabrook
> You can hear Brooklynese spoken in parts of New Orleans and Cincinnati,
> Labov added, the legacy of the New York bankers who moved to those cities
> in the nineteenth century to finance the cotton trade.
> -----
>
> I'd prefer a direct quote from Labov about this, as many of the
> paraphrases given in the piece seem a bit suspect.
>

> --Ben Zimmer

In her 1996 book, _Five Smooth Stones_, novelist Ann Fairbairn points out
the presence of forms like "boint" for "burnt" and "pernt" for "point" in
the speech of Southern blacks. My late grandparents also exhibited this sam=
phenomenon - or should that be "phenomena"? ;-) - in their speech. I've rea=
the history of Harrison County, Texas, of which my birthplace, Marshall, is
the county seat, and there is no mention therein of any great "movement of
peoples" from Brooklyn, New York, to East Texas.

Lest my point escape notice, it is that I don't believe that Labov could
have made any such asinine statement.
--
-Wilson Gray