"waterworks" = one who cries excessively

Fri Nov 11 17:15:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:58:20 -0500, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

>"Turn off the waterworks" (stop crying) is in my vernacular from the
>late 40's.

Well, yes, that would be the flip side of the "turn on the..." idiom that
I mentioned (OED has a 1931 cite for "turn on the...", and Proquest has
cites back to the 19th century). But have you ever heard of a *person*
referred to as a "waterworks"?

Here's the earliest example I've found so far:

-----
1981 _Daily Intelligencer_ (Doylestown, Pa.) 21 Jan. 3/5 I've been a
regular waterworks this morning (Tuesday), but I'm really feeling good
now, really good.
-----

Amazon and Google Print have a few more examples of "X is a regular
waterworks".

--Ben Zimmer