"Murphy's Law" Lead

Sun Nov 13 01:12:36 UTC 2005

> Barry Popik discovered "Reilly's Law," identical to Murphy's Law,
>mentioned in a story by Lee Correy in Astounding Science-Fiction, Feb.
>1955; this is the third oldest documented version of ML I am aware of.
>I have just learned that Correy, writing under the name G. Harry Stine,
>published a 1994 essay entitled "Murphy's Law Revisited" in "The Alternate
>View" Vol. 114 No. 10 of Analog Science Fiction / Science Fact.

G. Harry Stine was his real name; Correy was a pseudonym.

The Internet Speculative Fiction Data Base ( http://www.isfdb.org ) lists:

    *  Title: Astounding Science Fiction, February 1955
Contents
Short Stories
"Design Flaw"   G. Harry Stine

And the Locus Index to Science Fiction ( http://www.locusmag.com/index/ ) lists:

Analog Science Fiction and Fact [v114 #10, August 1994] ed. Stanley Schmidt (Bantam Doubleday Dell, $2.95, 176pp+, digest, cover by Chris Moore)
    * The Alternate View:
      ___ 122 • Murphy’s Law Revisited • G. Harry Stine • ar

Stine was heavily involved in the growth of model rocketry as a hobby, and was a neighbor of Robert Heinlein when both lived in Colorado Springs in the 1950's.