jump = copulate with?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 17 03:48:06 UTC 2005

Chapman has 8 "by 1638 To do the sex act with or to; =screw:  She
admitted she always wanted him to jump her."  (No comment from me on
the male fantasy of female sexuality in Chapman's choice of this example.)

Wilson's two senses are Chapman's 1 "by 1789 To attack; assault;" and
3 "1930s jive talk To be furiously active; be vibrant with noise and
energy."  His 1789 date probably comes from OED2's earliest citation
for sense 9.a.  So it seems the physical assault sense precedes the
rhythm-blues sense.

In any case, my example of rams jumping sheep comes from mid-century
-- mid 18th, that is.

Joel