jump = copulate with?

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 18 22:02:32 UTC 2005

In a message dated Thu, 17 Nov 2005 22:29:22 -0500
Laurence Horn _laurence.horn at YALE.EDU_ (mailto:laurence.horn at YALE.EDU)
responds:

>...as opposed to the modern custom of jumping the  shark (hundreds of
>thousands of googits, and not a fun thing for a couple  to do
>together, although I suppose a case could be made for  phallicity)

Not too long ago there was a TV special about "Happy Days", with guest
appearances by the cast.  I taped the show but I can't guarantee I still  have the
tape.  On the show it was stated that, contrary to popular belief  and/or
urban legend, the jump-the-shark episode occurred quite a while, I think  several
seasons, before the end of the show, and therefore had nothing to do  with the
demise of the show nor was any kind of desperate attempt to revive  ratings.

          - James A.  Landau