Eggcorn?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 22 21:58:29 UTC 2005

Jeez, Chris, I didn't mean to imply that the version with which I am
familiar is, in any sense the "standard" version, only that it's the single
version with which I'm familiar. I didn't bother to do any searching. I
simply accepted your version as being as "standard" as mine. (Did you, by
chance, read about the trivial controversy over whether "Chicken Little" was
the correct name of the movie and not "Chicken Licken," etc.?) Likewise,
it's totally clear to me that if your version is "in one place," then there
is nothing about "in the wrong basket" that is eggcornish for you. In like
manner, if the speaker that I heard had said "in one place," the possibility
that the phrase might be an eggcorn would never have crossed my mind.

-Wilson