AP on Southern "accent" reduction

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 24 02:20:51 UTC 2005

On 11/23/05, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: AP on Southern "accent" reduction

> "Long Island lockjaw" is the version I remember reading about.
>
>   JL
>
> Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Benjamin Zimmer
> Subject: Re: AP on Southern "accent" reduction

> Quoting Jonathan Lighter :
>
> > A little further down the page :
> >
> > "[S]ophomore Ali Huffstetler...said she "luuuvs" the slow-paced softness
> of
> > her upstate South Carolina magnolia mouth."
> >
> > "Magnolia mouth" appears on Google about 600 times as both nickname and
> > common noun.
>
> Is that the Dixie equivalent of Locust Valley lockjaw?
>

> --Ben Zimmer
>

> ---------------------------------

Speaking of Southern accents, I'm probably mistaken, but I've gotten the
impression that "orruh" [r] is more common in both Southern BE and regular
Southern English than it used to be, judging by what I hear on trash TV, e.g.
Maury, Jerry, Judge Greg, Judge Joe, etc.

On the other hand, the BE linking R, as in the blues lines,

I got teahs all in my rise
I got tears all in my eyes

Tin tuh ya bidnis an' leave my reffa-uhs alone
Attend to your business and leave my affairs alone

which was pretty rare even when I was a kid in the '40's, seems to have gone
the way of all sound.
--
-Wilson