Twofer: False Acronym PLUS Etymological Fallacy !

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 26 20:46:23 UTC 2005

On 11/26/05, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Twofer: False Acronym PLUS Etymological Fallacy !

> On _Fox & Friends_ this morning:
>
>   First High-Paid Anchor Guy :  To be accurate, "tips" stands for "To
> Insure Proper Service." So going by that, you should really give the tip
> *before* you eat.
>
>   Second High-Paid Anchor Guy :  That's right.
>
>   JL

Well, one does have to admit that the logic is impeccable. Hey, wait a
minute! Shouldn't that be "prompt" service? No wonder it strikes you as
strange, Jon! <I do but jest> BTW, I don't have an opinion on that question
re Leadbelly's pronunciation. I'm sorry that I didn't reply sooner.
--
-Wilson