"Money on women, booze...the rest I just squandered" (1974)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Nov 26 22:36:59 UTC 2005

What does Fred Shapiro have for this quote? Did the late soccer great  George
Best coin it, or just repeat it?
26 November 2005, New York Post, "Best passes us by," pg. 62:
"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars," Best said in his
most memorable comment on his roller-coaster life. "The rest I just
squandered."
_George Best dies_ (http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=57106)
NZ City, New Zealand -  <NOBR>20 hour
Arguably the greatest football player of all  time, George Best is being ...
Among other things  Best is remembered for is his quote "I ... The rest I just
 squandered". ...
_Best: perfect name for on the soccer field,  self-destructive off ..._
(http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13258739.htm)
San Jose Mercury News,  USA -  <NOBR>19 hour
... "I spent a lot of my money on  booze, birds (women) and fast cars_the
rest I just squandered," he  famously ... "They're asking now, `Who's George
Best?''' he  said ...
     _The Chronicle Telegram_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=4uFNimLMxoSKID/6NLMW2ldtqsMKA7BQYhZ65TJwelWmsbVNob/9VEIF+CsZYmrz)  _Tuesday,
June 25, 1974_ (http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=)
_Elyria,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="rest+I+squandered"+AND+cityid:8941+AND+stateid:73)   _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search="rest+I+squandered"+AND+stateid:73)   ...good  bIt on wIne, women
and song. The REST I  SQUANDERED." Tom Skaugen was.....a 10-12 game edge come
October.  The REST of the dIvIsIon Is  shapIng up..
The pro basketball rookie was asked how he spent his $500,000 bonus so
quickly. "Well, I spent a good bit on wine, women and song. The rest I  squandered."