RE "whup" - "whoop"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 28 21:27:09 UTC 2005

--
The word from the OED –

[a. F. *houpe-r* (in 12th c. *huper*), f. *houp*, imitative of the cry: see

HOOP<http://dictionary.oed.com.ezp2.harvard.edu/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=hoop&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=5&xrefword=hoop&ps=n.&homonym_no=2>
*n.*2 ? Cf. OE. *hwópan* to threaten, OHG., Goth. *hwôpan* to boast,

from which some derive the Fr. vb.
WHOOP<http://dictionary.oed.com.ezp2.harvard.edu/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=hoop&first=1&max_to_show=10&sort_type=alpha&result_place=5&xrefword=whoop>(
q.v.) is a later spelling,

after *who*: cf. *whole*.]
*
1340-70* *Alex. & Dind.* 167 Whan [th]ei hurden [h]is houp, hastiliche aftur
A lud to a litil boot lepus in haste.

And then there's German _hupen_, as in  _Nicht hupen!_  "No
(automobile-)horn-blowing."

-Wilson