y'all-omigod-bonics

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Nov 28 23:29:46 UTC 2005

Nearly everyone in the US considers him or herself to be "familiar"
with Southern (and African American) speech and (caught unawares) is
quite willing tom offer an "imitation" of it. IN our numerous studies
of perception of US varieties, the "South" is always the most salient
area, even among northern respondents. I wouldn't take no bets on the
author being a southerner (and, of course, inaccuracies in the
representation would not decide the matter in one direction or the
other)

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston