Horse v. mule

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 30 21:35:42 UTC 2005

On 11/29/05, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Horse v. mule

> Quoting Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>:
>
> > Though a reviewer of the first edition doubted whether the source
> recordings
> > were always sufficiently audible for every word to be distinguished,
> Taft's
> > work stands alone and remains extremely valuable.
> >
> >   Thanks for bringing this new version to our attention, George.
>
> Hmm, no one seemed to think much of it when I mentioned it back in August!
>
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0508D&L=ADS-L&P=R4752
>
> :->
>

> --Ben Zimmer

Wal, mah thanks tuh bofa yawl. I've seen the original in the library where I
once worked. As it happened, it didn't contain the song that I was looking
for, but for what it does contain, it's worth its weight in gold, if I
remember the pricing pollicies of Garland and Routledge. <Just kidding! I
appreciate what it costs a publisher to put into print a work, especially
one that's hardbound, that's going to sell maybe a thousand copies.>

-Wilson

--
-Wilson Gray