Kool-Aid drinker = dupe of propagandists, publicists, etc.

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Oct 3 02:22:21 UTC 2005

On tonight's (Sunday 10/2) West Wing, someone (I think Josh Lyman by a new
character Louise "Lou" Thornton) was asked if he were drinking Kool-Aid.   In
context the meaning was "are you continuing to perform acts destructive to  the
Santos campaign?"  This is an obvious extension of "drinking Kool-Aid"  =
"performing self-destructive acts".

I taped the episode so I can provide the exact quote if anyone  requests.

I strongly suspect that ALL citations of "drinking Kool-Aid" in this  thread
are ultimately derived from the events at Jonestown, with two obvious
meanings: 1) dupe of... 2) doing something self-destructive.  However, I  must
"caveat" that I have not read "Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" and have no  idea as to
the meaning or derivation of that title.

    - James A. Landau