man+(noun) combining form

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Mon Oct 3 22:32:30 UTC 2005

In my experience from Oklahoma City in the early 50s the opposition was
"man"-"colored man" (stress on "colored").  The specific conversation I
remember was with my great aunt, and we were discussing the husband of my
grandmother's (i.e., her sister's) housemaid, who was black.  The maid had
worked for my grandmother for years, and her husband was well known to the
family but never worked for them.  Everybody agreed he was a super-nice
guy, and my great aunt concluded the exchange by saying, "Yes, he's an
awfully nice colored man."  I'm sure if he'd been white, he would have been
simply "an awfully nice man," and that a black man would never have been
referred to that way.  I was from California and old enough to be aware of
the social segregation that prevailed in Oklahoma at the time, and her
remark was jarring, one of those things you never forget.

Peter Mc.

--On Monday, October 03, 2005 5:53 PM -0400 "Baker, John"