"Warm bucket of spit" and other Shapiro-worthy quotes

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Fri Oct 14 02:59:55 UTC 2005

>On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, Mullins, Bill wrote:
>
>> And I assume there are variants which substitute "shit" for "spit".
>
>My understanding is that the "spit" in Garner's phrase "warm bucket of
>spit" is a euphemism for "piss," not "shit."
>
>Fred Shapiro
 ~~~~~~~~~
I suppose it could be construed as a euphemism, but it's a much better
image of repellent otiosity than "piss" would be.
(Of course, at the time, "piss" was beyond the pale & "spit" just  within it.)
A. Murie