guilt trip (1970)

Fri Oct 14 03:49:12 UTC 2005

guilt trip, n. (OED3 1972)

1970 _Lima (Ohio) News_ 29 Jan. 6/7 In the opening fulmination, Bernardine
Dohrn clamored for more violence. Derisively she berated her fellow
Weathermen for having (obscenity, obscenity) a lot and being motivated by
a white guilt trip."
["Washington Report" by Robert Allen and John Goldsmith]

guilt-trip, v. intr. (OED3 1977)

1974 _Off Our Backs_ 31 July 11 (Proquest) So we wonder who these "radical
dykes" are that New York Magazine and other rags have reported are
strong-arming via feminist guilt-tripping poor straight women into bed.

guilt-trip, v. trans. (OED3 1980)

1974 _Off Our Backs_ 30 Sep. 11 (Proquest) Black women can't be
guilt-tripped any more about consciousness-raising groups.

--Ben Zimmer