go yard (1988)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 16 21:39:15 UTC 2005

In St. Louis, at one time the home of the two Southernmost MLB teams,
the bleachers of the old Sportsman's Park were reserved by the
Cardinals, then owned by local Arab-American businessman, Fred Saigh,
for black fans, though white fans could also sit there, if they chose.
This practice of restricting black fans to the bleachers was
discontinued by August Anheuser Busch, Jr., after he bought the team.

OTOH, the old Browns, now the Baltimore Orioles, who owned the
ballpark, permitted black fans to buy tickets to any seats that they
pleased.

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray