Eggcorn?

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Oct 17 01:24:11 UTC 2005

        I don't have a problem with the idea that something may have
cost more than one clerk a reprimand.  A cost can be either a positive
thing you have to give up, or a negative thing you have to accept.
Actually, the "cost" usage struck me as entirely unexceptional, until
Arnold pointed out this possible problem.

        It's surprising how readily at least some inconsistent usages
can find public acceptance.  Consider the song "If I Had a Hammer,"
which begins:

<<If I had a hammer
I'd hammer in the morning
I'd hammer in the evening
All over this land
I'd hammer out danger
I'd hammer out a warning
I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters
All over this land>>

        As you may recall, the singer similarly would ring a bell and
sing a song.  Now, there's nothing wrong with hammering out danger, and
there's nothing wrong with hammering out love, but those generally would
be considered opposite acts (i.e., destroying the danger, creating the
love).

        It's possible, of course, that I'm misreading the lyrics, and
the songwriters (Lee Hays and Pete Seeger) meant to "hammer out
'Danger!'" - in other words, that the hammering out of the warning was
just the same as the hammering out of danger.  I've never seen the
lyrics printed that way, though.

John Baker