uses of "all"

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Wed Oct 19 17:39:07 UTC 2005

Surely "all" in "all packed" simply means "completely."  (Just like
"all" in the preceding examples "all clogged up." "all wrong," and
"all well again.")   This is a standard usage, as in "I'm all packed
and ready to go."  Any exasperation has to come from elsewhere in the
question; specifically, "Don't you see ..."  And "all" in "all
nicey-nicey" is just an intensifier; the scorn, exasperation, or
whatever, lies in "nicey-nicey."

I agree with you, Jonathan, that nuances are often impossible to
explain in a dictionary.  For one thing, any truly complete
explanation would often have to be so long that nobody would
understand it or even care by the time they got to the end.  Probably
the best way to deal with such subtleties of language in a dictionary
is by gathering a number of closely related usages under a general
explanation and then choosing good example phrases or sentences.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
727 9th Street East
Saskatoon, Sask.