Eggcorn?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 20 20:29:23 UTC 2005

Chris "Mad Dog" Russo, on WFAN's "Mike and the Mad Dog" drive time
radio show this afternoon, commenting on the fact that Carlos
Beltran, star centerfielder of last year's Houston Astros baseball
team who jumped to the Mets last winter for a few more millions of
dollars, must be regretting his decision now that the Astros have
made it to the World Series without him:

"If you gave him truth syrup he'd admit he made a mistake signing
with the Mets."

Googling "truth syrup", I do find a number of possible hits, but many
of them apparently allude to a particular pop-cultural reference that
self-consciously incorporates a pun, along with other references to
beer or whatever as "truth syrup".   I'm not sure how many simple
cases of "truth syrup" [some office-holders might could use a whole
case!] for "truth serum" there might be around.

Larry