Kook (1960)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 27 00:53:06 UTC 2005

>I just came across (still cleaning this mess of a home, under orders of new
>occupant) TRUE, November 1966, pg. 92, col. 2: "It stems from the Hawaiian
>word  'Kukai' which means excrement. Surfers picked up the term and
>applied it to
>  troublemakers and hangers-on who never went near the water. Its popularity
>spread and it now denotes all offbeats and deadbeats."
>Interesting, but I'll still go with "cuckoo."

seems safe enough, but if you're feeling more adventurous, HDAS also
sports a "cf. KOOKABOO" under _KOOK_, which in turn is glossed as 'a
crazy person' and is a "poss. alter. of _kookaburra_ 'Australian bird
whose call resembles human laughter', infl. by CUCKOO".  I guess the
"kookaburra" part is there because of the K in KOOK.

Larry