New Orleans 'insurgency'

Mon Sep 5 17:18:42 UTC 2005

Janis Nihart <tarheel at MOBILETEL.COM> writes:

Johnathon

If I had known you were being sarcastic, it wouldn't have bothered me.  I
thought you were serious and were really excusing this kind of behavior from
the so called insurgents. There is no neeed to apologize.  I'm OK. Really I
can laugh at anything.  Like I said, I must have been really tired from all
that is going on in our state and personally with my parents who are in
their seventies and too old to go through this again, I just didn't pick up
on the sarcasm. my fault.Thanks for writing.

Janis

<<<

I didn't see the sarcasm either; I was also concerned. It's sometimes hard
to tell in e-communication, which feels in many ways like face-to-face --
informal, spur-of-the-moment, no need to polish our text -- but which lacks
the intonation, the facial expression, the tone of voice, the phrasing, the
gestures, and also critically the back-channel (I say something, it disturbs
you, I clarify... maybe even before you've said a word, because I see your
disquiet in your expression).

-- Mark