Corn rolls - eggcorn

Chris Waigl cwaigl at FREE.FR
Mon Sep 5 22:37:05 UTC 2005

Dennis R. Preston wrote:

>I winder about the "true" eggcorn status where items are spelled as
>they are pronounced with, perhaps, no "sense" difference. What about
>a "chest -of-draws" (as many locals her ein michigan ahve it)? When
>are folk-etymologies (related to such phonological facts) and
>eggcorns distinct?

My reason for not counting (or entering) "chest of draws" is that there
just isn't enough (folk-) etymology there, or semantic reinterpretation
for that matter. A drawer is something you draw towards you. The
difference is a mere derivational suffix.

So while "draw" (noun) and "drawer" might have merged into one word,
spelled "draw", for some people, I don't consider this to be an eggcorn
(or a folk-etymology).

But I'm not sure I understand your last sentence.

Chris Waigl

--
blog:      http://serendipity.lascribe.net/
eggcorns:  http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/