"Fat Lady Sings" in Dallas Morning News

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Sep 6 12:24:44 UTC 2005

Are you sure? I have a note that Cook claimed to have used the phrase in a
column in the San Antonio News-Express in 1976. I don't have a date though.

I wouldn't put much stock in _Southern Words and Sayings_; it's hardly an
authoritative source. Obviously the "church" version of the phrase was
circulating in 1976, but how far back the phrase goes in Southern folklore
is questionable.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net
  http://www.wilton.net