unscripted speech

Tue Sep 6 16:20:40 UTC 2005

Please clarify the drift of this discussion:  "lickety
split" has become an obscene phrase to be avoided in
genteel company, it is an old locution that is
occasionally used in a ribald manner, or it was
originally an sexual reference that has passed into
common use with the old meaning popping up
occasionally.

>From MOA:
“But he unly got clear by the skin of his teeth; that
is, by rushin' his canoe up, and dashin' crost with it
to t'other side here (for the Injins didn't know this
place, and kept straight on), and lickety splittin' it
down'ards to Simon's Slew, where he hid a whull day in
the bushes."
Woods and waters; or, The Saranacs and Racket, by
Street, Alfred Billings (1811?-1881), published in
1860.