refugee, IDP, evacuee

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Tue Sep 6 16:35:06 UTC 2005

Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>Larry, I included then deleted "exile" because ordinarily I wouldn't
>perceive captured and enslaved persons as "exiles."
>
>But if one is emphasizing the mercenary activities of African slave
>traders, "exile" would then be applicable. The victims were "exiled" by
>other Africans, though still not in a perfectly literal sense.

(off-topic:)

This seems to point out a semantic hole in current English:  we don't have
a good term for forcing adults into captivity extrajudicially (other than
enslaving, with its special meaning of turning someone into a slave).

Nowadays we seem to use 'kidnapping' to refer to both children and adult
victims, in all kinds of contexts, even in legal settings, although I think
I've also heard the term 'unlawful restraint' in some technical legal
jargon.

Kidnapping is used also used internationally, although 'hostage
taking/holding' is also used in certain situations.

Any other terms?

Michael McKernan