Feghoots site

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Sep 6 18:41:38 UTC 2005

        The F&SF contest was not a generic usage.  In fact, Grendel
Briarton/Reginald Bretnor (I forget which is the real name and which the
pseudonym) was listed as a co-author of the published entries in order
to protect his rights.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jeff Prucher
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:53 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Feghoots site

-------

> I tend to forget how old I am. The first feghoots appeared more than
> half a century ago, when I was in high school. That's plenty of time
> for a proper name to become generic. Unfortunately, I'm at the age at
> which over fifty years ago... Why, it seems like only yesterday!

The earliest citation I have for the generic use is from an Isaac Asimov
editorial from 1980 -- about halfway between the first Feghoot story
(1956) and today; he refers to such stories as "Ferdinand Feghoots".
The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (where the first, non-generic
Feghoots appeared) apparently ran a contest in 1973, asking readers to
submit their own Feghoots, but it's unclear to me (not having examined
the contest rules or results) whether this is a generic usage or not.

Jeff Prucher