Terror Dome; Dallas Morning News (1885-present?)

Tue Sep 6 20:57:22 UTC 2005

Barry -- most of these are topics that would be interesting to poke
around in.  And that's how I'd have to do it.  For example:  if I enter
"German chocolate cake" without quotes, I get 200+ returns, starting in
the 1800s. If I put it in quotes, I get one return in 1926 (in which the
phrase does not appear . . ), and then one for June 3 1957 which is
probably your apocryphal Dallas Morning News recipe (the dessert is
called therein "German Sweet Chocolate Cake").
I could use the ADJ operator, but since this is a three-word phrase,
I've got to do it twice (in this case, I'd only do "german ADJ
chocolate", since I suspect "chocolate ADJ cake " would max out at 200).
 To fully search this out, I have to go look it up in the ADS archives,
find what you've already done, and limit my searches from that point
backwards.  This takes a while, which is why I asked if you could put
some limits on your queries (can you find xx before yy).

Mostly this is due to the interface being so crappy.

As it is, it'll take so long to figure out how to home in on productive
results I doubt I'll work on many of them.  But I'll work on a couple
that look easy/likely. (I'd like to antedate "Big Easy", for example,
but every time I've tried I get frustrated by "big easy chairs", etc.).

Regards, Bill