Query: Exes and XXXX

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Tue Sep 6 21:42:08 UTC 2005

>> From: Sheryl1854 at aol.com
>> Date: September 6, 2005 08:23:23 EDT
>> Subject: Looking for word meaning
>>
>> I am looking for the meaning or symbols from long ago.  X was for
>> your name, XXX was for liquor I believe, XXXX was flour maybe.
>> What were the other Xs for?  This would be the pioneer timeframe
>> maybe.  Thought you might have the answer!  Thanks, Sheryl

The Xs refer to the 'fineness' of the grind of the flour, with a single X
being (relatively) coarse and XXX being 'triple fine', etc.

 A similar X-rating fineness system is in use for sugar.

Sorry, hit the send key prematurely:

I don't believe X as a signature-substitute 'mark' is at all related to the
flour/sugar fineness ratings.

XXX for distilled spirits, however, may well refer to the level of
distillation, and thus at least roughly, to the 'proof' or resultant
alcohol content.  Again, I believe this is not at all related to the
signature-mark X, used by/for people who were unable or untaught to write.

Michael McKernan