refugee, IDP, evacuee

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Wed Sep 7 18:20:37 UTC 2005

 Laurence Horn wrote:

>...given that the "agenda" and
>"propaganda machine" in this case is evidently one to which both
>George W. Bush and Jesse Jackson subscribe, I wonder whether it
>really makes sense in this specific case.  I can't think of too many
>other issues on which their views would coincide, although no doubt
>one of them would be to dismiss "ebonics" as ignorant, debased slang.
>Nice to see that know-nothingism about language can unite these
>leading American figures in the service of a noble cause.

Not disagreeing with Larry's major point, it seems to me that GWB and
Jackson have at least somewhat coincident views on religion or in
present-day jargon, 'faith-based' activities.  While I don't think that
whatever common ground they find in religion is operative in their shared
attitude toward the word 'refugee,' I do believe that it has been the basis
for a variety of congruences between their positions on such matters as the
Schiavo case.  Perhaps they rewrite the old saying:  ''Faith' makes strange
bedfellows'

Michael McKernan