refugee, IDP, evacuee

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Wed Sep 7 20:17:09 UTC 2005

>I hadn't heard of any "refugee" objecting to the word before the televised
>statement of the African American members of Congress went out last week.
>
>If the Rev. Jackson said that "refugee" implies/ means "criminal," the
>objections become even more ludicrous. I hadn't heard that, either.
>
> JL
My first hearing of "refugee" was in an interview on NPR with a person so
designated, and she was objecting to the term for herself and the others
with her.  The Jesse Jackson echo came later, if the timing of these
broadcasts was in proper order.
As a footnote to this, the redoubtable dowager, Barbara B, has added a
fillip by opining that these "underprivileged" folk are probably better off
in the Astrodome luxuriating in all that munificence than they were before.

AM