Nonsexual lickety-split

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Thu Sep 8 14:15:45 UTC 2005

I haven't really been following the discussion of lickety-split and its
apparent avoidance by the mayor of New Orleans, due possibly to its
sexual meaning (which i hadn't previously been aware of at all), but i
just saw a non-sexual use of the term by another politician, as quoted
in the Washington _Post_:

   Part of the inquiry will be allegations of price gouging, usually
   a staple of the Democratic Party, but one the Republicans must
   take up "in lickety-split time," said Rep. Donald Manzullo (R-Ill.).
   "Our constituents demand it."

 From an article titled "GOP agenda in Congress may be at risk:
Katrina's costs, high fuel prices working against more tax cuts",
appearing on page A2 of the _Post_'s Sunday, 4 September edition,
available online at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301065_pf.html

It makes me wonder exactly how widespread the sexual meaning is.

--
David Bowie                                         http://pmpkn.net/lx