1913 "jazz"; was: Terror Dome; Dallas Morning News (1885-present?)

Thu Sep 8 17:14:27 UTC 2005

To amplify my message of yesterday with some disjointed remarks:

I would myself be interested in any appearance of the word "jazz" in
regional and small town newspapers, through 1920 or so.  I have access
to Proquest, but not Newspaper Archives or other such files.

We're not likely to find an instance in print from the 1910s or before
of "jazz" used as a dirty word.  I'll settle for an expression of
embarrassment or outrage that such a vulgar word could have become
commonly used.  Though maybe someone will find a letter from perhaps
Herman Melville to Nathaniel Hawthorne that speaks of "jazzing" Harriet
Beecher Stowe?  Nah.

JL cites "the word "spunk," which in Britain has become a verb
meaning "to
ejaculate.""  Also a noun, meaning semen: Molly Bloom says "Poldy has
more spunk in him."  Does this sense exist in American English?  I
looked up "spunk" a while ago in OED, but am forgetting the details.  A
very old word, originally meaning "spark", as I recall, which would
cover the word "spunk-water" in Tom Sawyer.  So "spunky" as a male
characteristic or nickname is the equivalent of "sparky" or "firey".
Is it ever interpreted as "full of semen"?  Were women ever spunky? and
if not, was that because in olden times women were expected not to show
fire or because they don't generate semen?

Are there examples in American English of dirty words acquiring a
respectable meaning?  Not in recent days, when the idea of "dirty
words" has become obsolete, of course, but way back when.

In the reverse process, dirty and nice meanings for the words cock and
prick coexisted in English for centuries.  In American English, the
word "rooster" replaced cock -- I have a note of an NYC newspaper
editor in about 1823 using the word "he-biddies" for fighting cocks,
though with a raised eyebrow.  Was it ever usual to call the thorns of
roses pricks?  We discussed here recently the disappearance of the
word "pussy" as a tern for a cat, though I regularly address my cat
as "puss".

Any word that means energy or vigor is likely to come to mean sexual
energy and vigor.  In addition, jazz music was associated with what
seemed at the time to be highly erotic social dancing, where the
dancers pressed their bodies together rather than holding each other at
arms' length.  I posted here some time ago a statement from a late-
1910s family-values creep, with reference to late afternoon dance
parties , that he didn't mind daylight dancing, so long as there was
daylight between the dancers.
In addition, the dancers were left in a state of exhaustion that may
have seemed to be almost post-coital: "Late in the morning [viz., after
midnight] the Jazzers go to work and the dancers hit the floor, to
remain there until they topple over if the band keeps on playing.  It
leaves no question but what they like to dance to that kind of music
and it is "a kind."  If the dancers see someone they know at the
tables, it's common to hear "Oh, boy!" as they roll their eyes while
floating past, and the "Oh, boy!" expression probably describes the
Jazz Band music better than anything else could."  Variety, March 16,
1917.  A article on the Hickman band in Billboard from 1919 says that
with encores his dance arrangements could last a half hour.

I posted here a while ago a statement of my notion that "jazz"
originally referred to the energetic chatter that some baseball players
spout during games.  All that is required is some evidence to elevate
this from a notion into dogma.  It arises from the fact that the very
earliest appearances of the word are connected with baseball and
derives it from the French "jaser" & "jaseur", and would account for
the fact that the earliest appearances mean either energy or nonsense,
since this energetic chatter on a ball field is pretty nonsensical.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.