SPUD acroetymythology (1927)

Michael McKernan mckernan at LOCALNET.COM
Thu Sep 8 19:49:48 UTC 2005

Arnold M. Zwicky

>right!  emoticons. and things like <irony>...</irony> are glosses on
>rhetorical stances.
>
>maybe i should just give up on irony and humor.

Seems to me that there are  instances where people use the little buggers
as a substitutes for prosodic effects in a conversation-like exchange.
I'm not so sure that these qualify as glossing rhetorical stances, but I've
always preferred my rhetorical stances to be wearing glasses, rather than
lipstick. Makes them seem so much 'more intelligent.'

Michael McKernan