Those Swinging Swiss; or, a "Jass Club" in 1905

Thu Sep 8 21:04:10 UTC 2005

SWISS OBSERVE NATAL DAY.  Anniversary of Confederation at the Heine
Farm.  Societies of Washington and Baltimore Unite in Basket Picnic --
Games and National Music.  [headline]
        At Heine's farm, north of Brightwood, several hundred people
participated yesterday in the celebration of the 614th anniversary of
the Swiss Confederation.  The affair was under the auspices of the
Washington Gruetli-Verein, a Swiss Society.  The Swiss Society of
Baltimore, the Ladies' Swiss Society, and the Swiss Jass Club, also of
Baltimore, were represented in the gathering.
        The members of the Swiss societies . . . until a late hour last
night continued to enjoy the music and the other forms of
entertainment. The singing of Swiss patriotic songs was enjoyed by
all.  ***  [5 more paragraphs, on the speeches and the games played.]
        Washington Post, July 31, 1905, p. 2, col. 5

How can this be explained?

I found this through Proquest, where it is perfectly legible.  But
since it is so improbable I also checked it against the microfilm.  It
is correct, and the date and year are correct.

Does this rewrite the history of jazz?  Was it in fact derived from
Swiss patriotic music, and not from New Orleans?

I believe one of our members lives in Switzerland?  Has he or anyone
else any idea what this can mean?

Does anyone have access to the Washington Star or the Baltimore Sun?
Maybe a report in another newspaper would clarify things.

GAT, in astonishment.

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.