Nonsexual lickety-split

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Sep 9 14:01:58 UTC 2005

Students in the middle ages got back to college only to be greeted with
graffiti on the sides of buildings which read "Give Portnoy a hand" and
then the males would walk into the restroom where they discovered written
above the urinals, "Here is where Napoleon stood when he tore his bone
apart."

Page Stephens

-----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Nonsexual lickety-split

---

> Yes, Philip Roth.  Geezerly folk may recall the day when Vice-President
Agnew warned the nation that college students were "now going back to
school with their _pot_ and _Portnoy_."
> [Emphasis Agnew's.]
>
> I doubt if this was the speech that introduced "nattering nabobs of
negativism" and / or
> "the radical-liberals."
>
> Today I see the crowds of young collegians returning with their vials of
X and heavy subscriptions to Napster's rap catalogue.