"Ultraviolence" Antedating?

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Sat Sep 10 17:52:12 UTC 2005

> Here's a seemingly odd first use in the OED:  The first use there for
> "ultraviolence" is dated 1972.  But isn't that word used prominently in a
> major novel, A Clockwork Orange (1962)?
>
> Fred Shapiro

Nikita Khrushchev used the term (in a different context) before Anthony
Burgess:

"To hear them, it appears that the dictatorship of the proletariat is
ultra-violence, suppression of all and every freedom, oppression of the
individual."
        For Victory in Peaceful Competition with Capitalism, Nikita S.
Khrushchev, Dutton, 1960, p. 715.

I wonder what Khrushchev wrote in Russian.

Paul
Paul Frank
Chinese-English translator
paulfrank at post.harvard.edu