Kanye West on race and slang

Jonathon Green slang at ABECEDARY.NET
Mon Sep 12 08:15:21 UTC 2005

Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU>
>Subject:      Kanye West on race and slang
>
>-----
>http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/west%20reveals%20racial%20lines%20in%20slang%20use
>
>WEST REVEALS RACIAL LINES IN SLANG USE
>
>Hip-hop star KANYE WEST is advising his white counterparts that they can
>only use certain slang terms when they're out of style for black people.
>
>The JESUS WALKS rapper - who recently charged that US President GEORGE W
>BUSH "doesn't care" about African Americans - believes that certain slang
>words should only be able to cross racial barriers when they're no longer
>in style for black people.
>
>He says, "I think white people are allowed to say 'bling'. They are
>allowed to say old-school black slang, like 'hottie' and 'homie'.
>
>"Actually, I do not think that (white people) are allowed to use slang
>until it is at least a year old. If you say a slang word too early, it's
>like you're trying to be black. So as long as the slang is a little played
>out, you're all good."
>-----
>

>--Ben Zimmer

Do we sense a tongue within a cheek? More interesting, I would suggest
is the line on 'Crack Music' (on Kanye's new joint - to use a reasonably
aged term): 'This dark diction, [sc. the black slang of rap] has become
America's addiction' and notes that 'those who ain't even black use
it.'. And not, as he's doubtless aware, just in America.

JG