mouldy fig

Mon Sep 12 10:17:23 UTC 2005

Re: mouldy fig
Gerald wrote:

   No self-respecting modernist could accept that put-down lying down. So
out came the counter-put-down: "mouldy fig."  "Mouldy" here is
self-explanatory.  As for "Why fig?" I guess I'd respond "Why not?"
 <<<

We can do better than that. OED Online:

fig, n.1
4. a. As a type of anything small, valueless, or contemptible; also, [obs]a
dried fig; a fig's end. In phrases: [obs]never a fig = not at all; (to
[obs]bid, care, give) a fig, or fig's end for; to mind, value (a person or
thing), be worth a fig or fig's end.

m a m