Latest OED Additions

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 12 17:49:45 UTC 2005

We've been assuming that "play in Peoria" is originally a theatrical phr., but with Peoria's long history as a dullard center, couldn't it just as easily have started in politics ?

JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: Re: Latest OED Additions

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> earliest example of this phrase. 1975 is the earliest example
> in the entry, with 1924 as the first quote for the sense as a
> whole. If you have something earlier for _play_ I'll happily
> put it in.

What I had was the 1969 Ehrlichman quote, already posted by Ben Zimmer
earlier today. It is interesting that Safire's New Political Dictionary
quotes Ehrlichman as saying the phrase appeared in a 1968 Wall Street
Journal article, but a ProQuest search fails to pull up such an article.

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
Yale Law School forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com