Brooklynese in N.O.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 14 16:05:04 UTC 2005

It sounds like utter bullshit to me. The ^r > oi/oi > ^r alternation
is a commonplace in the South, not just in New Orleans, at least in
black speech. Get out your old Temptations 45's  and notice how often
you hear "oi" for "^r" and the reverse. This has been documented at
least as far back as1966, in the book, _Five Smooth Stones_, by Ann
Fairbairn, in which, in an aside, she notes this as a typical feature
of New Orleans BE.

I can recall joking about this as a feature of East Texas BE with
fellow black Texan expat children of my age in St. Louis, as far back
as the '40's. I have a cousin, also a native of Marshall, TX, but who
didn't move to St. Louis till she was an adult, ca.30 years old, whose
use of ^r > oi and oi > ^r is such that it sounds almost like a speech
defect.

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray