Brooklynese in N.O.

Thu Sep 15 02:37:45 UTC 2005

>And, lest anyone misunderstand, I really do make the claim that, in my
>childhood, black people in Marshall, Texas, did pronounce, e.g. "burn"
>as "boin" and, e.g. "coin" as "kern," abstracting away from the actual
>phonetic representations. Butchawl get the picture.

You may have seen an old episode of "Saturday Night Live" in which
Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest played two old Negro League baseball
players, in blackface.  One or the other of them talked about playing
in Birmingham, and "bir" came out like "buoy" -- Buoyminham.
Is this the same pronounciation?