bagel (verb) and yips

Thu Sep 15 08:41:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 23:59:51 -0500, Mullins, Bill wrote:

>bagel (v) Not in OED.
>
>"It's a Field Day for Tennis Fans" By ROBIN HERMAN; New York Times;
>Sep 2, 1975; pg. 40 col 4.
>" "They call them the Bagel Twins," said Cousin Lynn, meaning Dibbs and
>Solomon, who is Jewish.  "Eddie [Dibbs --ed.] once yelled out "Bagel!"
>when Stan Smith beat him 6-0.  Now, whenever he beats anyone 6-0, he
>says he 'bageled' him."

-----
"Bagel Twins: Court Jesters of Pro Tennis"
Los Angeles Times, Sep 20, 1974, p. III1/1
The Bagel Twins. "I was the one who originally made it up," Dibbs said.
"You see, when you get beat six games to love, it's called 'The Bagel.'
Simple logic. A bagel has a hole. Zero. It used to happen to me a lot, so
I called myself The Bagel Kid. The Bagel Twins was a natural."
[continued on p. III3/1:]
Solomon and Dibbs lost to Smith and Lutz Thursday night but they weren't
Bageled. It was 7-6, 7-6.
-----

--Ben Zimmer