"electric" = electric power

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 15 18:48:32 UTC 2005

I hear "the electric" for "the electricity" in the greater Boston
area. It sounded a bit strange, when I first heard it. Down in Texas,
we called  it "the light bill" and in St. Louis, it was "the electric
bill." I heard and became accustomed to "the electricity" in L.A.

But, "hamburg" for "hamburger (meat)" in the greater Boston area I
still find strange, even after over a quarter-century of hearing it.

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray