Brooklynese in N.O.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 15 20:34:18 UTC 2005

Not really, but it was a nice try. My father was a native of that
region and I don't recall his ever using exactly that pronunciation.

BTW, do you recall "Birmingham equals Bombmingham" and such from the
'60's? For local blacks, this was an exact pun, i.e. "Bumminham eeka
Bumminham." The pronunciation of "bomb" as "bum" and of "equal" as
"eeka" extends to East Texas. I recall my grandparents speaking of
"bum(s)" and "bummin'" dewin th' Waw and my mother uses "eeka" for
"equal" in the mathematical sense to this very day, though she's been
living in Sacramento for over a half-century. I.e., for her, one plus
one will always _eeka_ two, but she would pronounce "equal rights"
pretty much as in sE. In E TX, Birmingham is approximately
"Boiminham."

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray