(East) Texas "geechee" redux

Thu Sep 15 22:00:16 UTC 2005

> >Needless to say, black people who fit this  description are
> found all
> >over the United States, including Texas. Why  black (East) Texans
> >should apply the term "geechee" specifically to black  Louisianans I
> >have no idea. Indeed, my mother and her mother fit the  type. But,
> >being native Texans, they would be referred to only  as
> >"olive(-skinned)" and "bright(-skinned)," resp.

OED has 1926 for Geechee (noun)

some attributive cites:

TOOK TO THE SWAMP.
The Atlanta Constitution; Apr 10, 1896; pg. 3 col 3.

"Geechee Charley, a notorious negro murderer and desperado from Florida,
was arrested here last night and is now in jail waiting for the Florida
officials to come for him."

JUDGE ANDY'S MATINEE.
The Atlanta Constitution; Jun 3, 1897; pg. 4 col 2.
"Henry Smith, who said he came from the Ogeechee swamps, was disturbed
in his slumbers Tuesday night by a crowd of negro youths . . . . "I am a
fighting man, I is, jedge," said Henry, "and if you will give me a pair
of minutes I will do something to make you fine me another $10.  I'm a
'Geechee nigger, I is." "

SOME INSIDE FACTS ANENT GEORGIA'S FRUIT INDUSTRY
The Atlanta Constitution 1881; Jun 28, 1908; pg. A2 col 6.
"Unquestionably the busiest little city in the south today is Fort
Valley.  Teeming as it is, with a transient population of some 6,000
people, representing all classes from the veriest hobo to the neatly
dressed commission house solicitor, from the 'Geechee negro to the
millionaire fruit dealer of Gotham, this usually staid little town
presents an appearance as cosmopolitan, in miniature, as Broadway, New
York."

and a noun cite:

GEORGIA INDUSTRIAL COLLEGE CONFERENCE
The Atlanta Constitution; Jan 19, 1904; pg. 6 col 6.
"The people who are engaged in this work are locally known as "geechee"
or Ogeechee oyster farmers."