(East) Texas "geechee" redux

Fri Sep 16 19:09:28 UTC 2005

> )  we  get the followibng list of these sort boxes:
> SACATRO - Negro & Griffe - 87.5 Black blood
In OED under "sacatra" 1859

 The Independent Chronicle;  Date: 1807-03-23;   Vol: XXXIX;   Iss:
2703;   Page: [3];  [advertisement]
"Cargo of the ship Patter, in from Batavia. . . 934,000 lbs. Sacatra
Coffee"

"Slavery - Its Effect on the Property, Intelligence, and Morals of the
Whites. - Olmsted on the Seaboard Slave States" [A book review]
Title: New Englander and Yale review. / Volume 14, Issue 54  pp. 264-295

Publisher: W. L. Kingsley etc.
Publication Date: May 1856 [cite from p. 293]
"The various grades of the colored people are designated by the French
in Louisiana, as follows, according to the greater or less predominance
of negro blood:

Sacatra  . . . griffe and negress.
Griffe   . . . negro and mulatto.
Marabon  . . . mulatto and griffe.
Mulatto  . . . white and negro.
Quarteron  . . white and mulatto.
Metif  . . . . white and quarteron.
Meamelouc  . . white and metif.
Quarteron  . . white and meamelouc.
Sang-mele  . . white and quarteron."

"A Midsummer Trip to the West Indies", Lafcadio Hearn, Harper's new
monthly magazine. / Volume 77, Issue 457, June 1888, p. 214
[illustration caption] "Sacatra Types -- Almost Pure Negro"

> GRIFFE - Negro & Mulatto - 75% Black blood
OED has 1850 cite under "Griff"

ILLUSTRATION OF AMERICAN SLAVERY.
Liberator (1831-1865); Nov 23, 1849; 19, 47; APS Online
pg. 1, col 6.
"The next subject was the griffe man, Patrick, aged twenty years; 'a
very likely man,' said Mr. B., 'having a good character; a good barber
and house servant, fullya guaranteed against the vices and maladies
prescribed by law, (what they were we did not learn,) and is only sold
because his mistress just got married.' "

> MARABON - Mulatto & Griffe - 62.5 Black blood
Not in OED. [see 1856 cite above]

> MULATTO - Negro & White - 50 % Black Blood
numerous varian spellings in OED, which carries it back to 1591

> OS ROUGE - Negro & Indian - 50 % Black blood
Not in OED.

> TIERCERON - Mulatto & Quadroon - 37.5 Black blood

Not in OED under this spelling.  OED has a 1760 - 1772 cite for
"Tercerone" under the entry for "terceroon".  (There is an OED entry for
"Tierceron" as an architecteral term with an 1842-1876 cite.

> QUADROON - White & Mullatto - 25% Black blood
various forms in OED back to 1707

> OCTAROON - White & Quadroon - 12.5% Black blood
In OED under "octoon" (1840)